You can join us for training and events as often or seldom as you wish. You choose your level of involvement. We only ask that you agree to do your best to be trained and respond in an emergency if we ask for your help.
No. There are no fees, dues or other mandated costs to be an MRC volunteer. In addition, all meetings and training are at no cost to our members.
No, we need volunteers with a variety of skills and talents. MRC units have non-medical volunteers who provide education, logistics, communication, coordination and other support. Many positions in the MRC do not require medical skills. All you need to bring is a desire to make a difference in your community.
- Help run a mass-dispensing operation Point of Distribution (POD) to get needed drugs to those impacted by a disaster (mass prophylaxis).
- Help with setting up and operating vaccination clinics.
- Help in shelters during evacuation emergencies.
- Help set up drive-through pharmacies or medical tents and other related facilities.
- If you have a healthcare license, you may perform duties consistent with your skills and training.
- Support routine medical screenings & immunizations
- Provide community health education
- Dispense medicine
- Help clients with paperwork.
- Direct traffic flow in POD.
- Assist with disaster first aid, triage
The Georgia Department of Public Health has provided an answer to this question and others in this document.